Hunt Stained Glass Studios
George & James Hunt (sons of Henry Hunt) along with siblings Franklin and Marianne, apprenticed under their father and expanded the business, bringing in noted stained glass artists Helen Carew Hickman, Charles Morris, Roy Calligan, and Nick Parrendo. James became the studio's head foreman and George became President of the Stained Glass Association of America. During this time, the studio became Hunt Stained Glass Studios. George acquired Aurora Art Glass Company, merged with Hunt's and relocated the studios to our current location in the West End.
Founder, Henry Hunt (1906-1943) was born in England in 1867 and trained with his father as a stained glass apprentice. He immigrated to Boston in the late 19th century and began working for Leake & Greene (self proclaimed decorators) in the mid 1880's. During that time, Henry created the Thaw Emmanuel Episcopal Church in the Allegheny City (Pittsburgh). In 1906, he founded Henry Hunt Studio in Pittsburgh's West End, which remains in operation as Hunt Stained Glass Studios under the ownership of the Parrendo family.
George and Margaret Lally purchased Hunt Stained Glass Studios in 1966, after George Hunt retired. A businessman in brass and copper, Jack sought to expand the studio into new areas of stained glass design, and provide an environment for emerging and established artists. The Lally's helped transition the business to include repair and conservation options to meet customer demand.
Our History . . .